Job Title:DENTAL OFFICER
Department:Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency:Indian Health Service
Job Announcement Number:IHS-12-WR-608321-DE
$195,000.00 / Per Year|
|Monday, February 13, 2012 to Tuesday, February 12, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types|
|1 vacancy(s) - Fort Hall, ID United StatesView Map|
1 vacancy(s) - Salem, OR United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Warm Springs, OR United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Nespelem, WA United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Omak, WA United StatesView Map
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
|This is an "Open Continuous Vacancy Announcement" and applications will be referred when vacancies occur. Merit Promotion eligible and candidates eligible under Indian Preference procedures; See Who May Apply Section|
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At HHS you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. Join HHS and help make our world healthier, safer and better for all Americans.
Join dedicated outpatient clinical staff whose joint efforts with individuals, families, and communities prevent and treat illness. The Indian Health Service in the Pacific Northwest provides healthcare to American Indians and Alaska Natives living in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.
This amends the Job Announcement to include: One Full Time Permanent position in Toppenish, WA
The Indian Health Service (IHS), an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services, is responsible for providing federal health services to American Indians and Alaska Natives. The IHS provides a comprehensive health services delivery system for American Indians and Alaska Natives with opportunity for maximum tribal involvement in developing and managing programs to meet their health needs.
The Indian Health Service is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified Indian applicants and employees who are qualified and suitable for Federal employment. The Indian Health Service (IHS) by law is committed to affording employment preference to American Indian and Alaska Native candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. In other than the above, the Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This Open Continuous Announcement allows acceptance of applications throughout the year with eligible applicants being placed on a standing register and referred for consideration as vacancies occur. A filed and completed application package will expire in three (3) months and you will need to reapply to keep your application active.
If hired, you will be assigned to a Permanent, Temporary, Excepted Temporary, Excepted Time-Limited, or Term appointment. The Agency has option of extending Time-Limited and Term appointments for up to a maximum of four years. Temporary positions not to exceed 12 months or less are subject to termination at any time. The Agency has option of extending Temporary position appointments for up to a maximum of two years.
The first Cut-off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions will be 03/05/2012. Other Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles is received to fill other vacancies. Ten (10) pt. Veterans' Preference ESEP applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligible is issued, will be considered and referred on the List, if qualified.WHO MAY APPLY
Any U.S. Citizen
- visit email@example.com for more information on Who May Apply
To be eligible for this position under the Delegated Examining (DE) hiring plan, you must be a U.S. Citizen.
This position is also being announced under Announcement IHS-12-WR-608320-ESEP/MP for those who want to be considered under Merit Promotion Plan/Excepted Service Examining Plan, which is Current or Former Federal Employee, Indian Preference, Veterans Preference, and/or Commissioned Corps. If you wish to be considered under all hiring plans you must submit an application to both job opportunity announcements.
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Fort Hall, ID United States 1 vacancy
Salem, OR United States 1 vacancy
Warm Springs, OR United States 1 vacancy
Nespelem, WA United States 1 vacancy
Omak, WA United States 1 vacancy
Toppenish, WA United States 1 vacancy
Wellpinit, WA United States 1 vacancy
White Swan, WA United States 1 vacancy
POSITION DETAILS: Multiple openings may be available; One Full Time Permanent position in Toppenish, WA
Salary range: $75,427.00- $195,000.00(Annually)
Title 38 salary range: $96,539 - $195,000 per annum
Incentive: Up to 25% of base pay may be offered
Promotion potential: GS-12
Travel Required: No
Supervisory/Managerial Position: No
Relocation Expenses: Expenses may be paid in the interest of the government and not in the interest of the selected employee.
Is position covered by PL 101-630? Yes (See Childcare Addendum form in the How to Apply Tab)
Is drug testing required? No
Is government housing available? No
Is this a bargaining unit position? No
This position requires that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
- Position subject to background investigation.
- As part of the pre-employment process, fingerprint checks are required.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- Must be a US Citizen
- A completed CHILDCARE ADDENDUM FORM is required.
- Current, active, unrestricted professional license is required.
DUTIES:Back to top
Please ensure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you losing consideration for the job.
· Performs examinations, makes diagnoses and prescribes treatment plans for patients; and recognizes and refers patients for specialty treatment as required
· Performs all types of dental services which include operative, endodontics, dental public health, oral surgery, pedodontics, periodontics and prosthodontics
· Provides consultant services and/or may exercise oversight for dental contract health services if working at a service unit managing contract health services in accordance with organizational policies
· Serves as an advisor to Tribal and other lay groups on all matters pertaining to oral health
· Provides supervision and guidance to dental assistant(s) and dental hygienist as needed
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
All applicants must meet the qualification requirements of this position by the cut-off date of the job announcement.
Education: Degree in dental surgery (D.D.S.) or dental medicine (D.M.D.) from a school approved by the Council on Dental Education, American Dental Association (ADA); or other dental school, provided the education and knowledge acquired was substantially equivalent to that of graduates from an ADA-approved school.
Licensure: Applicants must be currently licensed to practice dentistry in a State, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico.
Applicants who meet the basic requirements qualify for GS-11.
Additional Requirements for Grades GS-12 and Above:
For purposes of this standard, the following terms are defined.
§ Approved internship; approved residency-Training in a hospital dental internship or residency approved by the Council on Dental Education of the American Dental Association.
§ Graduate-level study -- Either dental graduate study leading to an advanced degree such as Master of Science, or postgraduate (nondegree) dental school study involving a level of instruction comparable to that provided in a graduated degree program.
§ National certifying board -- An examining board in a special area of dental practice recognized by the Council on Dental Education of the American Dental Association.
§ Board eligibility -- Qualification for examination by a national certifying board as a result of having met the advanced training program requirements for a dental specialty.
Experience and/or training must be one of the following types:
· Post-licensure professional experience in the general practice of dentistry.
· Approved internship training.
· Approved residency training.
· Graduate-level study in an accredited dental school.
· Post-licensure professional experience in a specialized area of practice.
· Other advanced study or training (outside a dental school or hospital) creditable towards satisfaction of training program requirements for Board eligibility.
For GS-12: Two years of professional dentistry experience and/or training; or superior academic ability defined as that demonstrated by an intern, who on the basis of an evaluation of all interns who have completed training in the same hospital or in the same kind of internship program over the past 5 years, would fall into the upper half of the group.
Professional Dentistry Experience: Experience in diagnosis and treatment for a full range of dental cases, sufficient to regularly encounter, diagnose, and treat dental diseases and dental health problems of greater-than-usual difficulty; and dealing with dental health cases presenting patient-behavior and communication problems.
Applicants must be able to distinguish shades of color.
You must provide the required information during the online application process; if any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete:
- Resume complete in USAJOBS
- Responses to Questionnaire
- Applicable Supporting Documentation (see Required documents section in this announcement for more details)
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and evaluate your relevant personal, educational, and work experiences. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications requirements will be invited to complete an on-line questionnaire assessing the following:
· Ability to provide patient care
· Diagnostic Tasks
· Information Management
· Interpersonal Skills
Based on the results of this evaluation, you will be placed in one of three quality categories:
Best Qualified Category -- Meet the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position
Well Qualified Category -- Meets the minimum qualifications requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
Qualified Category -- Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but do not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
Names of candidates in the Best Qualified Category will be sent to the Hiring Manager for employment consideration.
If you are entitled to veterans' preference, you should indicate the type of veteran's preference you are claiming on your resume, and ensure you submit the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date. If you are entitled to veterans' preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed above qualified non-preference eligibles in your assigned category. Qualified veterans' preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on the position and grade level of the job. For information on entitlement, see http:www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
For I/CTAP purposes, you will be deemed well-qualified if you are placed in at least the well-qualified category.
BENEFITS:Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://my.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits.
If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, you must submit a copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, you must be well qualified with a score of at least 85 for this position. For information on CTAP/ICTAP, visit:
Candidates must meet qualification requirements, licensure requirements (possess and maintain a current, valid, active State license as a Dentistry), performance requirements, citizenship and suitability requirements, and any other eligibility requirements by the cut-off date of the vacancy announcement.
Positions may have promotion potential to the GS-12 level. Promotion to the next level is at management’s discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and administrative approval. Promotion to the next level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
Selectee may be required to serve a one year probationary period.
After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position.
The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package, which includes the following parts:
- Assessment Questionnaire
- Required Documents (Specified in the Required Documents section of this job announcement. An applicant may not be considered if proper documentation is not received.)
Option A: Online application process (USAJOBS to Application Manager) the preferred method to receive automatic updates on your application status.
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button on this page to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application you may use the following link : https://applicationmanager.gov/ .
Your Application Package status must be Complete by, Tuesday, February 12, 2013, the closing date of this announcement.
Option B: Fax
If it is not possible for you to use the USAJOBS Account to Application Manager Account online application process (you have a disability or do not have access to the internet), you can apply for this announcement by completing the OPM 1203-FX form instead of using the Online Application method. Please use the following step-by-step instructions as a guide to filling out the required questionnaire. You will need to print the vacancy announcement and refer to it as you answer the questions. You may omit any optional information; however, you must provide responses to all required questions. Be sure to double check your application before submission.
Follow these steps:
- Print a copy of this job announcement so that you can read the questions offline. View Occupational Questionnaire. You can obtain the OPM1203fx form at this URL http://www.opm.gov/Forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf .
- You may submit the OPM Form 1203-FX (hard copy questionnaire), résumé, and/or any supporting documents by fax.
- If you are faxing a Form 1203-FX, do not use a separate cover sheet. Simply make sure the Form 1203-FX is on top of any other documents you are faxing.
- If you are faxing any documents without the Form 1203-FX on top, always use the official cover sheet which is here -- http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf -- and be sure to fill it out completely and clearly. The fax number is 1-478-757-3144. Feed all documents into your fax machine top first so that we receive them right-side up.
Faxed documents will take 2-3 business days to process. Faxed documents submitted with missing information will not be processed. The following will prevent your documents from being processed:
- Not using the special cover page mentioned above.
- Missing, incomplete, or invalid Vacancy Identification Number 608321
- Missing or incomplete Social Security Number or name
Note: If you have documents in your Application Manager account from a previous vacancy announcement they can be opened, copied and saved then reused as an upload file for this vacancy. Uploading your documents will speed the processing of your application for this announcement.
PLEASE NOTE: In Section 25 of the Occupational Questionnaire, you may notice that the numbering restarts with number one. When entering your responses on the 1203-FX form please continue to enter your responses on the next available number within this section. The numbers on the 1203-FX will not match the Occupational Questionnaire once it restarts with number one.
Submission of a resume' or a 1203FX form alone IS NOT a complete application. This position requires the completion of additional forms and/or supplemental materials as described under Required Documents section. Please carefully review the complete job announcement and the "How to Apply" instructions. Failure to provide the required information and/or materials will result in your application not being considered for employment.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office, ANGELA PESHLAKAI, (503)414-7737, ANGELA.PESHLAKAI@IHS.GOV "The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis."
You must provide the required documents listed below during the online application process either through the document upload process or fax using instructions outlined in Section B above. If any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete:
· ___Resume -You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
· ____Childcare Addendum form must be completed and submitted along with your resume by downloading and responding to the questions listed. Sign the form before you submit as a part of your application package. This form is required as the position you are applying for is a designated position covered by Public Law 101-630, requiring contact or control over Indian children. The form is available for downloading at: http://www.ihs.gov/NonMedicalPrograms/DHR/Documents/ChildcareAddendumOMBApprovedForm-2012.doc
· ____Indian Preference applicants If claiming Indian preference for the first time, or if you have no previous documentation of preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the current Form BIA -4432 (expiration date 11/30/2014), "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." The current form (expiration date 11/30/2014) does not need to be used if an older Form BIA-4432 is submitted with a signature that predates the expiration date on the form. Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA official of tribal enrollment records, documentation of lineal descent, state or academic records that document you possess one-half degree Indian blood from a tribe indigenous to the United States, as well as official records that establish your degree of Indian blood, such as census records. You must also complete the family history chart if necessary. (See the form for detailed instructions for the completion of the BIA form 4432. Please contact your tribal enrollment officer or your local BIA Office for your most current form.)
· ___Qualifications – current, unrestricted, active professional licensure; Residency Certificate; and Board Certificate, if applies.
· ___Transcripts - Transcripts must be provided as education is required for this position. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty.
· ___Veteran's Preference-If claiming Veteran's Preference, include a copy of DD-214 Form, and SF-15 if claiming 10 point Veteran's Preference http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf.
· Response to Assessment Questionnaire.
Applicants may submit optional documents and place these under the Miscellaneous document type. Documents could include performance reviews, copies of job-related certifications, cover letter, letters of recommendation, SF-50. Suggest documents submitted are job-related and current.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received, you will receive an acknowledgement via email that your submission was successful. Approximately 45 days following the closing date of the announcement, you will receive a notice of rating with the final disposition of your resume. To protect your privacy, scores of resumes are not provided by phone.
Additional Duty Location Info
1 vacancy(s) - Fort Hall, ID United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Salem, OR United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Warm Springs, OR United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Nespelem, WA United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Omak, WA United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Toppenish, WA United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - Wellpinit, WA United StatesView Map
1 vacancy(s) - White Swan, WA United StatesView Map