FEDERAL JOB TITLE:
Department Of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
$51,871.00 to $81,583.00 / Per Year
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 to Wednesday, July 10, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time - Agency Employees Only
1 vacancy(s) in the following locations: Providence, RI United StatesView Map
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
ited States Citizens
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 701744
Honor America's Veterans by providing exceptional care that improves their health and well-being.
You could be part of an important initiative to provide mental health care for our nations Veterans!
Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki has announced that the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will be adding approximately 1,600 mental health clinicians – to include nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists, and social workers as well as nearly 300 support staff to its existing workforce.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs mental health professionals who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who serve our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people - our Veterans.
Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your country's service.
If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission. The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE").
America's Veterans need you!
To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/jobs/.
PLEASE NOTE: Qualified clinical trainees, residents, fellows, interns, etc. are encouraged to apply; please follow the instructions in the How to Apply section.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
This Social Worker (HUD/VASH) Case Manager position is located in Mental Health and Behavioral Sciences Service and is not a bargaining unit position.
**Your salary and grade will be determined by the Professional Standards Board (SB). The PSB is a peer review process. The PSB will review your individual qualifications, education, professional training/internship(s) and professional experience to determine the most & appropriate salary and grade based on your individual accomplishments.**
The work schedule is: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• US citizenship
• English language proficiency
• Background/suitability investigation
• Physical standards - Must pass pre-employment examination
DUTIES:Back to top
• Completes the screening and admission process for the Housing and Urban Development-VA Supported Housing (HUD/VASH) program by developing and maintaining criteria that recognizes program eligibility, prioritization for program acceptance, and requirements of.
• Regularly conducts and participates in outreach activities including field interviews, assessments and referral for homeless Veterans contacted in the community, shelters and "on the streets", as well as those who are referred by VA residential programs, medical centers or outpatient clinics.
• Evaluates the Veteran's situation, abilities and capabilities, and arrives at a reasoned conclusion including an assessment of vulnerability and priority for admission.
• Develops psychosocial treatment plans, actively involving the Veterans and their family or significant others, in coordination with interdisciplinary team members, based on the psychosocial assessments, including goals for clinical treatment.
• Assists Veterans in maintaining appointments at VA medical centers and other community agencies for medical, psychiatric, substance abuse, vocational and other services consistent with Veteran's goals associated with healthful independent living.
• Provides direct mental health and substance abuse services for Veterans and family members or significant others in support of the Veteran's treatment.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
From VHA Qualification Standards)
Education: Master's degree in Social Work from a school of Social Work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Licensure: Be licensed or certified at the Master's degree level to independently practice social work in a state.
Exception: VHA may waive the licensure or certification requirement for persons who are otherwise qualified, pending completion of state prerequisites for licensure/certification examinations. This exception only applies up to the full performance level. For grades above the full performance level, the candidate must be licensed or certified.
English Proficiency: Providers appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d) and 7407(d).
Specialized Experience GS-11 requires: In addition to meeting all basic requirements, applicants must have 1 year of post MSW professional social work experience equivalent to the GS-9 in the Federal Service in the field of health care social work. Experience with community outreach and home visits preferred.
In addition to meeting basic requirements, a doctoral degree in social work from a school of social work may be substituted for the required 1 year of professional social work experience in a clinical setting.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
Reference: VA Qualifications Standards (handbook 5005) is available in the local Human Resources Office.
NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the United States Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards your qualifications for this position. You can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
• Subject to satisfactory completion of our credentialing process.
• Selectee will be presented to a peer review board to determine final grade and salary.
• Subject to a one year probationary period.
• Position does not confer competitive status.
• Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov/
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.) Additionally, Veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, nonservice-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow, widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference." and required documentation with your application material.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, go to http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetsinfo.asp.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Complete application packages will be reviewed to determine if the basic qualifications for this position have been met. A listing of candidates who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the hiring facility where the credentialing and privileging screening process is completed.
BENEFITS:Back to top
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.va.gov/jobs/job_benefits/benefits.asp.
Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized.
A recruitment/relocation incentive may be authorized for a highly qualified candidate.
Receive Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have serviced as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees' credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. This is not an entitlement and is at the discretion of the medical center.
This position will be filled on a full-time permanent basis. Upon completing any required probationary period, the position will be permanent.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package (See "Required Documents" section below). The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Wednesday, July 10, 2013.
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
Note: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application return to your member account in USAJOBS to see the status of your application, including any messages that may have been sent to you.
If you cannot apply online:
• Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire
• Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf
• Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to (478)757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission. Keep a copy of your fax receipt in case verification is needed.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload:
• Complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf
using the following Vacancy ID 701744.
• Fax your documents to (478)757-3144.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
• Occupational Questionnaire
• CV or Resume
• VA Form 10- 2850a - Application For Associated Health Occupations - Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf
• Proof of current certification, licensure or registration
• Unofficial transcript(s) - official college transcript(s) will be required before being hired
• OF-306 - Declaration for Federal Employment - Available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
• Veterans should submit appropriate documentation as described previously in this vacancy announcement.
• If currently employed by the federal government, include a copy of your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
Debra BuckleyPhone: (401)459-4770x4748Email: DEBRA.BUCKLEY@VA.GOVAgency Information:VHA Providence VAMCDepartment of Veteran Affairs830 Chalkstone AvenueHRMS Eagle SquareProvidence, RI02908
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will receive e-mail notification as to whether or not you were included on the list of referred candidates. If you do not provide an e-mail address, your notification will be sent via U.S. Postal Service within 2-4 weeks. Important note: Applicants have the burden of producing all needed information prior to the closing of the announcement Wednesday, July 10, 2013.< Back to ResultsBack to top