Over 63,000 Copies Sold!
This publication is THE training handout used in Transition Assistance Program (TAP) classes and employment courses at Military Transition Centers worldwide. The fifth edition is updated with the latest hiring reform information. The Jobseeker’s Guide was the first-ever publication for military and family members seeking federal employment. Since then, this popular Ten Steps to a Federal Job® curriculum is utilized in hundreds of military bases, government agencies, workforce centers, colleges and universities, and private industry career centers to instruct federal job seekers worldwide! This publication is also the exclusive guide supporting the Certified Federal Job Search Trainer™ and Certified Federal Career Coach program. This resource is extremely useful for individual jobseekers and is the ultimate federal job search workshop handout for military career transition counselors.
What’s New in the 5th Edition
- About 60% of the content is updated or new!
- Contains the latest Federal human resources information
- Linkedin sample resume
- Contemporary federal resume samples
- Updated USAJOBS instruction and application instructions
- Fresh insight on tracking your application
5th Edition Highlights and Changes
- NEW! Introduction activity:- How many hats do you wear at work?
- Accomplishment Freewriting exercise
Step 1. Review the Federal Job Process
- New: Veteran’s Preference Program Descriptions
- Added Hiring Program information to include Spouse Priority Placement Program and the Schedule A program for veterans (and everyone) with disabilities.
Step 2. Networking
- NEW! Why Linkedin is a good idea for networking.
- NEW! Linkedin sample resume for military spouse
- NEW! Networking resume for military spouse
Step 3. Research Vacancy Announcements
- NEW! Screen shots on USAJOBS searching techniques
Step 4. Core Competencies
- NEW! Two additional sets of core competencies
Step 5. Keywords
- ALL NEW – This is totally new, includes methods for finding keywords from Duties, Qualifications, KSAs, Questionnaire. More information about keywords!
Step 6. Federal Resume Writing
- NEW! Before and after spouse sample
- NEW! Before and after military sample
- USAJOBS format sample resumes
- Two new pages from the Occupational Standards to show how to use the Standard to build a federal resume against a specific position description
- NEW! Information on Factor Evaluation System to provide important questions to answer for the development of the federal resume
Step 7. KSAs and Questionnaire
- Better organization for a tough chapter – 4 KSA formats – very clear, easier to follow now
- KSAs in the resume
- KSAs in the Questionnaire
- KSA narratives in the Questionnaire
- KSAs as part of the federal job interview
Step 8. Apply for Federal Jobs
- All new screen shots of USAJOBS and the important profile questions that are usually missed
- NEW detailed section on setting up a profile and applying through USAJOBS
- NEW updated screenshots of USAJOBS and ApplicationManager
Step 9. Track & Follow-up
- More info on Notice of Results!
- NEW! Information about Category Rating and how Veterans Preference is applied
Step 10. Interview
- The same inspiring samples and insight for the Behavior-Based Interview.